Saturday, March 3, 2007

Decorating Dilemmas..


In preparation for my new life in Krautland, I have have been sending my beloved some suggestions on decorating the apartment. He is very accomodating (for the moment) and has not said so much about how he would like to furnish it.. but I'm waiting.. I know he will have lots to say when we are buying the new furniture.

The first purchase will be a new bed, and we pretty much agree on what we want.. something that handcuffs can be easily attached to.. because let's face it, after six months of celebacy and countless hours of IM, phone calls and web-cam viewing, we will not be leaving our apartment for... well, at least a week!

But then there is the new living room furniture to consider, and the items that need to go in the office.. and the damned paint! Every wall in the place is either a white or a cream color (except the kitchen, which is a lovely shade of apple green) and I can barely stand it. So I have plans for the walls as well.

I sent Mizi some paint colors, like 21 shades for each room we intend to paint, hoping that there is a paint store within 50 km that would carry remotely the same colors. No dice. It seems that Lowe's American Traditions is just not on the German menu of choices.. He asked about having the colors mixed, but of course, without the recipe they cannot do it.. and neither of us see spending a small fortune to have them custom mixed anyway. We briefly considered shipping the necessary paint with my furniture, but decided it wasn't worth the effort. Surely I can find something I like from the choices on offer, right?

At the time the paint was being discussed, and my stamps were being wasted in sending the samples, we had decided on a lovely ice blue sofa for the wohnzimmer, and maybe a couple of chairs in a mango color, which I thought would look great with the brown paint I had chosen for that room. Our living room is quite large, actually, and I know a darker color will not take away from the space.

Then Mizi discovered this ginormous furniture store about 1 1/2 hours south of our village. He was very excited to tell me that we can purchase everything there and have it all delivered at one time.. maybe it was his way of saying he didn't really like the idea of mango chairs.. but the sofa is still stuck in my head for the moment.

So at this point we have agreed to buy the furniture first, and then kill ourselves painting before delivery of said purchases. It isn't a bad idea. The thing is, all I've seen of furniture in Germany thus far has been the Euro-modern variety, and while it is mostly appealing to me, I wonder how it's going to look next to my large Medieval gryphon mirror.. or my marble-topped wrought iron console.. hmmm.

Needless to say, our adventure is only beginning. And while Mizi says that he's leaving the decorating up to me.. I wonder how he will react when I want that ornate, bright red Maria Theresa chandelier in the dining room! Yes, with the brown paint.


5 comments:

Schokolade Mädchen said...

Welcome -in advance- to Germany and Blogland:+) Go for the mango chairs! Chocolate and mango together sounds so pretty. We just purchased light green chairs for our dining room. We are not into pastels at all but I'm so glad we thought outside of the box - they are fantastic!

Dixie said...

I've never had a problem with a home improvement store over here mixing up a custom paint color for me. You show them a sample of the color, you know like from one of those color pallet books, they put it in a computer thing that analyzes the color and tells them what to mix in it to make that color. I usually get my paint at Hornbach but I imagine the other big home improvement stores like Obi or Pratiker or Bauhaus could do the same thing.

Isabelle said...

Thanks to Madchen and Dixie for the advice.. I'll talk to Mizi again about the mango chairs and the paint.. and find out if any of the store's Dixie mentioned are in our area.

Michael said...

you did talk to me, about it? .. did i miss something? .. damnit.. no red things against brown walls.. maybe a little red in the bedroom, so that it looks like a private red light district :)
but ok. the color, we picked out already, are beautiful, anyway.

Isabelle said...

You didn't miss anything yet darling.. I will speak to you about the mango chairs. And we will have to discuss the private red light district later..rofl.